Tuesday, August 23, 2011

Skirt to Shirt

I guess cleaning out everyone's closets lately has inspired all the "clothing" projects!! ;)  This one, however, was super simple (just my style), so I had to do it!!  ;)

I had an old skirt (it was actually my sister's & I rescued it from a garage sale, noticing its potential! ;) It's not a typical elastic waist skirt, but rather a gathered waist.










Simple steps:
I had my daughter try the skirt on (as a shirt), then I marked where to cut in the back.  After marking, I turned the skirt inside out.  Next, I basically did a good 2" seam. (If you look super close, you can see it - about 2" from the right edge.)











Next, I trimmed close to seam, top to bottom.











I took that extra piece I cut off, cut off the gathered top & lining, and cut the piece in two.  With each piece, (right sides together), I sewed along the open edge, making 2 "tubes".  I turned them right sides out, and pressed them flat with the seams in the center.











Finally, I had my daughter try the top on & pinned the straps on to fit!  I pinned the straps on, cut off the extra & folded the edge under to hem.  I did a simple seam across the edge & I was done!! :)









Turned out pretty cute, if you ask me!!  :)  I figured that since it was my sister's, I should give it to my niece - - needless to say, my daughter was a little bummed!!  ;)  (Guess that's a good thing??) ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment