Tuesday, July 6, 2010

Washer Necklace

I've seen these on a few other blogs, but wanted to try them myself!! They are super simple, super cheap, & (if you're prepared), super quick!!

What you need:
* metal washers (found at Home Depot/Lowes, Wal-Mart, etc.):

* scrapbook paper
* glue that will hold metal (ie. Gorilla Glue, hot glue, etc.)
* clear nail polish, Mod Podge, or any other clear top coat
* necklace chain, rope, ribbon, or whatever you want your necklace to be made of
* any embellishments you wish to add

For my 2 necklaces, I used scrapbook paper. First, I traced the washers on the wrong side of the paper, then cut the circles out. Apply the adhesive of your choice, (I used Gorilla Glue because that's what I had!), then attach the paper circle & allow to dry. After glue has dried, apply a top coat, (I used clear nail polish because I couldn't find my Mod Podge & it worked great!!), making sure to go over the edge a bit to seal off the paper! Once the top coat has dried, you can attach another washer, or add embellishments!! The final step is to add the chain or necklace of your choice! For the brown necklace, I used a chain that I had, with a small piece of chain to attach my lock & key:

For the other necklace, I used a "ready made necklace", that was black velvet, that I just looped around the washer! That's it - super easy, super cheap, & super quick!

You can also use nail polish to "paint" the washer for a cool effect:

I haven't done anything with it yet, but I thought the metallic blue was so cool, so I had to try it out!! :) - And it's a bad picture, so it doesn't really do it justice!! :(

1 comment:

  1. Love these! I've seen them before too and wanted to make them. I love how you added the bling. So cute and so many possibilities.

    ReplyDelete